Tuesday, September 30

I am in Love.


Tonight I was introduced to Veronica Lake for the first time. I'd always heard a lot about her, knew her hairstyle and that she was once considered one of the great sirens of the silver screen. I wasn't sure that I was going to like her because I'm an ardent fan of Katherine and Audrey Hepburn. To be fair, I haven't seen any Betty Grable or such the like. But when Veronica Lake came on-screen, I immediately knew who she was and was immediately enchanted with her. She is well-known for her hairstyle, nicknamed "the Peek-a-boo Girl" for her heavily side parted hair that covered the right side of her face. Women all over the country loved this style so much, that Veronica Lake had to film a special commercial during WWII to promote the updo. Apparently, Rosie the Riveter's peek-a-boo bangs were getting caught in the machinery! This style has now been emulated by modern stars like Christina Aguilera, Jessica Alba, Kim Basinger in the film L.A Confidential, and the ever-popular ScarJo.




Continuing on the subject of girl crushes, I would like to bring up Nylon's new It Girl issue. While they have their customary gushfest about Cory Kennedy and Peaches Geldof (both of whom I have no issue with), their covergirl is Zooey Deschanel!!

Zooey Deschanel first caught my (and a whole bunch of other people's) attention as Patrick Fugit's older musically-inclined-runaway-turned-flight-attendant sister Anita. She has since done other quirky characters that are equally as fabulous, and I'm sure everyone is aware of her enamoring turn w
ith M.Ward as She & Him. I love their contemporized torch song-style covers and I cannot wait to see what else they come up with.

Other girl crushes include, but are not limited to:

-Kat Dennings, of Charlie Bartlett and Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist fame
-Mary Kate Ashley (kinda makes me sad, but she seems pretty cool. plus, their straight to video movies were TOTALLY my guilty pleasure in high school. Winning London!? Good times.)
-Abigail Lorick (ghost designer of Eleanor Waldorf on Gossip Girl, in case you didn't know!)
-Blair Waldorf
-Christina Ricci
-Coco Rocha (who I know nothing about, but think is gorgeous anyway)



So! I will leave you this evening with the video for She & Him's so "Why don't you let me stay here?"



video credits: markdcatlin and lalamaker, respectively.

2 comments:

Miss V. said...

I've never heard of Veronica Lake but she is (was??) gorgeous! And I LOVE Zooey Deschanel. I don't even know what she does but there's something about her look that is so sweet and captivating.

:)

Miss V. said...

Heeey me again :) Yes, I would definitely like to hear the American side of things! I couldn't find your email, but feel free to email me v.decadent@gmail.com.