Saturday, September 13

Your Favorite just the Same . . .

I just saw the movie Penelope for the first time. When it first came out in the states (February), I was interested in seeing it, but nobody wanted to see it. I'm home from college for the weekend and saw it in the video store. Voila! It didn't do fantastically well in the box office, so I had relatively low expectations. However, I thought it was adorable. It turned out to be well-written, well-acted, and just well done in general. The cinematographer is Michel Amathieu who, coincidentally, also did Amelie. The production designer was fantastic; the room has an amazing sense of class and whimsy. I want my first grown-up apartment to look like that.



Penelope is the story of a girl born with a curse. Without giving too much of the plot away, the family sets about the orthodox way of break the curse. But as everyone knows, a curse is by nature, unorthodox. I love the message they've put in the movie, and I have to say, I LOVE her clothes! The costume designer is Jill Taylor, and she didn't miss a beat. Or a stitch, I suppose. This is how I want to dress: classic silhouettes, bold colors, with a touch of girlishness.



plus it has James McAvoy in it. Check, please?

1 comment:

Mikkle said...

i love that movie! and the clothes are to die for! wish i could find her scarf and coat somewhere...