Tuesday, September 2

Insomnia . . .

So . . . . it's 3:30 AM. I'm still awake, from waking up at 9. I fell asleep at 6:30 AM yesterday morning. Something has got to stop. I'd really prefer not to drug myself with Nyquil or cough syrup or something, but I cannot seem to fall asleep! Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyway, since I'm awake, I figured I'd do a recommendation post (assuming, rather in a narcissist manner, that anyone besides myself reads this).

In music, I cannot get enough of the Brunettes. 1) They're from New Zealand, which makes them fantastic. 2) They run in a similar vein with Rilo Kiley, Tilly and the Wall, and those sort of quirky-yet-amazing bands.

favorite track: If You Were Alien (click here to view the indie-tastic video)

Also, I ripped a page out of Nylon to remind myself to check out Uh Huh Her, an electro-pop duo from Los Angeles. One of the girls, Leisha Hailey, was on The L Word which is pretty cool I guess. Anyway, they kind of run with bands like Ladytron and Metric, and I've been dancing around my room in my apartment like a huge toolbox all week.

favorite track: Not a Love Song (click here . . . oh, you know what to do)

The new Subways album, All or Nothing, is pretty amazing. The Subways were completely overplayed in America (or at least, Rock n' Roll Queen was) thanks to the OC, whatnot. By the end of . . . . 2004 (?) I was pretty tired of them. However, this new album shows a lot of growth in my opinion, both instrumentally and vocally. The overall quality of the songs has vasting improved as well, with a good bit more variation between songs. * I saw them in concert once when I was still in high school. I had Charlotte, the bassist, sign my shoe (a red chuck) and I remember feeling really weird that I wanted her to sign my shoe. Looking back on it, I'm sure she'd had people ask for much stranger things to be signed . . .

favorite (or favourite, in honor of their Britishness) track: Lost Boy

In movies, I'm really psyched about Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist. I shall let the trailer speak for itself.




I'm more than a wee bit miffed about the whole "let's move the Harry Potter release date back" thing. Despite what the producers said, I think it's a pointless move done solely for monetary gain. Harry Potter has always been a holiday franchise and they've always done well. As long as the producers treat the fans with respect, the movies will continue to do well. Unfortunately for the studio bigwigs, they made a huge snafu with this one. However, the Twilight movie has moved in and taken the Harry Potter release date. So I am slightly mollified. Slightly.

Other than that I have no real interest in any movies that are coming out. Easy Virtue is a Noel Coward play that is being turned into a movie with Colin Firth, Jessica Biel, and Ben Barnes. I'm looking forward to that, but its so far only a British release. Watchmen, also, is going to be intense. I squealed like the (closet) fangirl I am over that one.

In other movie news, my roommate (R? I'm still feeling this one out) and I have decided to make our movie nights a thing. I compiled a list based on AFI's 100 Greatest Movies list, plus other movies I've been meaning to see (i.e Lust, Caution, There Will be Blood, No Country for Old Men, etc.) And we'll be watching these quite happily on nights and weekends.

This being said, I think I may take that cough syrup now. I do feel pretty sick, actually.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

to be a true watchmen fangirl, you need to read the graphic novel! get thee to a barnes & noble!