Wednesday, October 22

Antiquity and stuff

Hello Hello!

So, this past weekend I went with my history club (yes, I'm in the history club) to visit Mount Vernon and olde town Alexandria for the
weekend. It was beyond beautiful. The weather had that lovely crisp in it that only a true autumn can have, forcing us to bundle up in sweatshirts and scarves. First, we all piled into our cars and drove off down the highway: direction, North. I knew two of the girls in the car I drove in. One I'm hoping to live with next year and the other is an incredibly endearing girl I've known for quite a few years now. The other two members of the funbus were utterly unknown. However, in that perfect way things work out sometimes they were perfectly charming and I was so glad they were in our vehicle. The house we stayed at (a member's parents house) was absolutely gorgeous. If I could have any house in the world I would want a house just like that. Very home-y, but embarrassingly Goldilocks in its perfect size. The floors were all hardwood with amazing detailing around the windows and doors.

Mount Vernon was fantastically fun. The house tour was fun, if a little crowded, and I still think that there is so much more many of these houses could do to increase the interest-level of tours. We went on a ghost tour of Olde Towne Alexandria, which I highly highly recommend. Our tour guide was so knowledgeable and an excellent story-teller. She was one of those people that you're just riveted to while they're speaking. We went other places, but those were the main highlights.

The great thing was the people I was with. The questions they asked on tours were insightful and interesting. We could debate historical accuracy, legends, and historical fact on the tours, as well as consider what we would do if we were lucky enough to create an exhibit. But it wasn't super stuffy. We laughed, told jokes, went on a horse (except ours were mules)-drawn wagon ride! It was a great experience and an awesome break from the tedium of college life.

I'm also quite excited for our meeting next monday. We're watching From Hell and our english history professor is giving a lecture about Jack the Ripper in honor of Halloween. I am obsessed with everything Jack the Ripper, and can't wait to go!!




TT

No comments: