Tuesday, June 14

Notes on a Tuesday

So, it's been quite a bit since I've posted anything substantially music-related. But this past few days was a barrage of concert-going, so . . . there you go.

This past Thursday I saw Mumford and Sons at Merriweather Post Pavilion. For those of you who don't live in the area, it was stinking hot that day. Like, a good bit over 100 degrees farenheit hot. I closed up shop at work as quickly as humanly possible, grabbing the shorts I'd stashed under my counter and running to the staff restroom to change (gingerly standing atop my shoes as I made the switch from jeans to shorts). I was wearing the thinnest tank top I could manage (it raised a few eyebrows, I won't lie) and power-walked the few blocks to my car. 

I leapt inside, turned the music full-go, rolled down my windows, and cruised the open road to Columbia, Maryland, meeting up with my friend for some mexican food (shrimp enchiladaaaaas) before braving the parking lot.

We grabbed our $9.50 beer (it was a tall glass of Shock Top, so I can almost say it was worth it) and picked our spot on the lawn. Off slightly to the left, on the high ground. Spreading out the blanket we sipped our beers while sweat dripped down our backs, enjoying the commune-atmosphere that lawn seats always seem to promote. I checked my phone periodically to keep tabs on a friend who was supposed to meet us with her sisters.

And then the rains came. And we're talking biblical level rains. Thunder and huge cracks of lightening that would have been terrifying had the rain not felt so refreshing on my hot skin (and the back of my brain recognized that I was not the tallest person on this open field, and that the idiots with the umbrellas would probably get hit before me). That little field became our Woodstock, as we laughed and danced and hollered in defiance, rebelling against our natural instinct to seek shelter from the storm. 

The opening bands, Matthew and the Atlas and the Low Anthem were both wonderful, and rather appropriate for the rainy weather. By the end of the opening sets the rain had stopped, and even more people (clearly waiting it out in the cars) appeared, packing it in as best we could. Of course, my phone was toast but so goes technology and rain, I suppose.

Mumford and Sons took the stage, the thrill on their faces evident. They said that Merriweather Post was the largest venue they'd played (until later that weekend at Bonnaroo, I suppose). Their smiles were boyish and huge, stretching across their faces in obvious delight as 20,000 people sung their lyrics back to them, lyrics that clearly struck a chord (forgive the pun) with each of us. They played every song we knew, and four new songs that we didn't that seemed to keep the best of Mumford and Sons that we know, evolving into something even better, with lyrics that hit home just right.

They saluted those of us that stayed through the storm and danced in the rain and hail, but honestly they made it worth it. Worth my phone dying and worth the massive traffic jam to leave and head home.* Because not only was it amazing music it was an amazing experience.  

If I could post every song, I would, but for now, here's their amazingly kickass performance of "Dust Bowl Dance"



Then yesterday I saw the Decemberists, minus the amazing Jenny Conlee who is currently fighting off breast cancer (you can go on their website to buy Team Jenny t-shirts, with all proceeds going to Susan G. Komen for the Cure). They were amazing, as per usual, playing the vast majority of The King is Dead with a few off of The Crane Wife and Picaresque. They did three songs from the Hazards of Love, which I was nervous about hearing without the full album/original ladies to back them, but it was still awesome. Sara Watkins, who is standing in as a fiddle for Conlee's accordian, seemed slightly hesitant (though I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be to sing harmony and play fiddle simultaneously), but did well and seemed to mesh well with the Decemberists.

I can never get over how comfortable Colin Meloy seems onstage. If he's nervous he does a darn good job hiding it. He jokes and talks like he's just talking to a room of 10 people, never mind the hundreds behind us. And did some pretty epic guitar-picking/moshing/crowd-surfing during "Chimbley Sweep" (one of my new favorite Decemberists songs)

 




All in all, I've had a good couple of days, musically. Pretty blissed out about it all, honestly.

video sources: Eels121 and smallroundbluecell, respectively

*though, if they really felt the need to reimburse me my blackberry, I wouldn't be totally opposed.

No comments: