Wednesday, June 29

Catch-22 (shopping + limited packing)

So I finally (finally!) feel comfortable to actually type these words and send them out into the inter-void. This fall I'll be moving to London to attempt attend graduate school (Freudian slip). Until now, I've had this crazy fear that something would happen, that would hold me back and make me unable to go . . . which then leads to that horrible "I know I SAID this was happening, but . . . " conversation/post. But my funding packet is in, and I'm a visa approval and a plane flight away from crossing off quite a few life goals (and, you know, the actual year of grad school that will hopefully result in a masters degree). 

I've studied in England before, for 6 months. Packing for that was reasonably simple because I knew it was just for 6 months and not to bring everything. But this doesn't feel like a quick trip. This feels like something so much more momentous than that. 

The cool thing is that this sense of finality (and the daunting task of fitting my WHOLE life into 2 suitcases and a carry-on) makes you absolutely ruthless. This Saturday I did a room-purge, which is honestly one of my favorite ways to spend a Saturday for some bizarre reason. I just love to de-clutter things . . . to feel like I am NOW more efficient, more stream-lined. That I've literally cut the crap (and by crap I mean stuff . . . not feces, obviously). I love looking at the mountain of things that will be donated to the GoodWill, and the growing trashbag of clothes and other items that cannot be donated for whatever reason. It's so interesting to look at what you hold on to, why it meant something to you (and realizing that it doesn't mean anything to you now). I feel like there is something so refreshing about looking at a practically empty closet . . . like a blank page waiting to be written on. 

Now books are a whole other story, mind you. A floor to ceiling bookshelf crammed full of books and I could only pull out 3 to be donated, or re-distributed through my house. I am a literati pack-rat, I guess.

But as I was saying, the prospect of those few scant feet in your suitcase makes you reeeeallly think about what you actually wear and not how you wish you dress. It makes you think about quality over quantity. So without further ado, here is my wishlist for quality of quantity clothing.


-The EmersonMade tuxedo blazer (I don't think I need to explain myself on this one)

  
source: EmersonMade

But I will if you insist! It's England, land of ever-changing weather. A light jacket is necessary to keep up. This is casual enough with jeans, but can be dressy with a skirt/dress/pants, etc. It's not a tweed, so it's not like "I'm trying to be English!" because I'm not, but it's not a blatant "I'm an American" statement. The cream color may be worrisome, but not in London, where it is ok, nay, encouraged! to be a little rumpled and dirty.

-Current/Elliott jeans

source: bluefly
In a perfect world where I had millions of dollars, I would be a denim junky. I mean, I sort of am. They're essentially all I wear, particularly since my job allows me to wear pretty much whatever I want. I have a pair of Lucky brand Charlie Flares, which I love and would recommend to anyone, and a VERY slouchy (and honestly ill-fitting) pair of Downtown Skinnys from J.Crew. But I promised myself that if I hit a certain goal than I would buy a pair of NICE designer jeans. And I still haven't done that. And when denim-gurus Current/Elliott jeans are on sale at Bluefly for over 50% off . . . . it would be criminal not to get them, right? right. (p.s. check out their awesome houses and personal denim collections at The Coveteur)

Now, I know I also need a LBD (that doesn't actually have to be black [in fact, I think black is a little too stark on me], but you get the idea) and some grey wool trousers, but I don't have anything that I'm coveting for those items. 

But I think both of these are totally doable . . . right, Mom? right. (?)

No comments: