Monday, January 31

From the Bookshelves

  
from Cannonball Read 3

The pounding music, the cheers, the admiration work their way into my blood, and I can't suppress my excitement. Cinna has given me a great advantage. No one will forget me. Not my look, not my name. Katniss. The girl who was on fire. 

 . . .

It's not until we enter the City Circle that I realize I must have completely stopped the circulation in Peeta's hand. That's how tightly I've been holding it. I look down at our linked fingers as I loosen my grasp, but he regains his grip on me. "No, don't let go of me," he says. The firelight flickers off his blue eyes. "Please. I might fall out of this thing."
"Okay," I say. So I keep holding on, but I can't help feeling strange about the way Cinna has linked us together. It's not really fair to present us as a team and then lock us into the arena to kill each other. 

-The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

This trilogy marks a return to great literary heroines, beautifully thought-out characters that girls can look up to. It expresses great complex themes, the world is messy and complicated, and Collins does not underestimate her reader. I would rank her with John Green, Avi, Madeleine L'Engel . . . I'm so glad my sister handed me these books, and would recommend them to anyone.

Who is your favorite heroine?

No comments: