Thursday, August 25

Dress to Impress

It should be said that while I don't consider myself a fashionista, or even a style blogger, (though outfit photos may increase soon, and by increase I mean appear) I do follow style and fashion. I read the magazines, the blogs, the websites, etc. But in my search to be stylish, I find myself bumping up against a problem.

An article on Refinery 29 (a site I very much enjoy) on layering came to my attention. I have never been able to layer properly, so I followed the link. It proved informative, but rather elementary honestly, because I think most people get the basic idea of layering. That's not actually the question. The question within the question (at least for me) is thusly:

how the hell do I layer without looking like the Stay-puft marshmellow man?
And how do I keep the layers from getting lumpy?!

Because here's the thing. I'm not really sure I've mentioned it before. I have boobs. Tits. Gazongas. It really doesn't matter how you say it, believe me, I've heard it all before. And on top of that, I'm top-heavy. My hips/stomach/legs are not really proportional to my chest size. Which can make life difficult.

full disclosure: yes this is from high school, but I look pretty much the same


A button-down shirt you say? Oh no. No no. If I want to wear it buttoned up at all, it gaps in a really unfortunate place that shows off my bra. Yes, JCrew, I am looking at you.

Which brings me to the conundrum:

I don't understand how major fashion publications can pretend to show regular folk how to do anything when they still insist on modeling the looks on just one body type. But at the same time, obviously  fashion experts can't address every body type because women look vastly different from one another. Having a sizable chest does not necessarily mean that you have hips that don't lie (I wish I did) or a bootylicious backside. It might just mean that you have a rack, skinny legs and no ass.

So it's really just experimentation and looking at style bloggers (the internet's gift to fashion, I think). And sort of hoping for the best.

I know it's been said before but the great thing about style right now is that it really seems like the rules don't really apply anymore (except good taste, but that's a bit arbitrary, don't you think?)

My God, this is a circular argument.

But my point is (I'm assuming it's in here somewhere) that I WILL be posting more outfit shots, if only in an attempt to pay more attention to what I'm wearing.

No comments: