Thursday, April 14

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise



Other than loving the song, the title is rather apt right now.

I'm making some pretty major decisions right now. One's that will without a doubt affect the rest of my life, in one way or another. And that's a heady realization, my friends. But it will be good. I think.



Anyway, I got back from England on Friday (a day later than intended, thanks to a canceled flight*) and as much as I enjoy my job(s) and enjoy being at home with my family, I already miss it horribly. 




I'm aware that England is not without its own set of problems, but they have a lifestyle that I find so appealing. First, I can walk anywhere in Oxford or London. On my last full day in London I walked from Kensington to the West End. Granted, it took me two hours and is not how I would recommend traveling to work, school, whatever. But I certainly saw the city, and passed by a great many interesting things. I just wish I were more comfortable about whipping out my little point-and-shoot to capture it (and that I were more satisfied with the results when I do). 


Oxford is always wonderful, particularly when I share it with my wonderful friend that I stayed with. She's in Oxford getting her master's in Modern Chinese Studies, and is very brilliant. Also, joy of joys, she just discovered that she's been accepted to another program and will be staying another year! Oh, the opportunities!

I spent a lot of my time in Oxford the same way I did when I studied there. Reading, annotating, only this time with copious amounts of toast and tea (Eliot would be so proud). But we made sure to eat at our favorite spots, try some new ones, and visit my favorite places otherwise known as bookstores.

But going back to that whole "first" thing (which indicates a serial, don't you know), the food is fresh and organic whether you like it or not. Cooking at my friend's home meant fresh chicken fajitas, fried rice, glazed salmon and breakfasts of fried eggs on toast with salami and gouda cheese. It's enough to make a girl cry, I tell you (especially when she pulled out the homemade strawberry meringues!) 


And tea . . . I love that England (some, I know not all) take the time for tea. An hour to just sit, or just talk, or just read, and enjoy a moment to yourself in your workday or studyday . . . there's nothing quite like steam rising out of a nice big mug, or that wonderful caramel-colored swirl of milk right before you give your black tea its final stir. Particularly paired with a good book.

Good friends, good food, good architecture, good art, good books, good travel . . . .
*they said it was mechanical issues, in which case I say, please, cancel away. I'd rather spend another day in Oxford than drop out of the sky.


photos are my own, please e-mail me before reposting

No comments: