Wednesday, September 8

Film Review: the September Issue

This documentary has been out for quite awhile. I think Rebecca of the Clothes Horse and many others have talked about it. But, having now dabbled in publishing, it is SO interesting to watch. I think I'm watching it now for the third time. It really is an excellent representation of how putting together a magazine works. The discussions between Grace Coddington (my heeeeroo!) and Anna Wintour are things that, 4 months ago, I would have called terrible arguments. Now . . . it's just part of the job. You argue, you debate . . . and very frequently you lose to the editor's vision.  

source: I Mean . . . What?!


Granted, I don't work in fashion publishing. I'm not sure I ever could, because to me it is so objective. But I love watching Grace Coddington style her photoshoots. She just creates these amazing images . . . several of my favorite editorial spreads in Vogue are actually styled by Grace and I had no idea. She really understands the artistry and the drama that photographs can create. I love that you see Anna Wintour's thought process, you see the editing. And you see her as a person, to a certain extent. And I think what applies is, funnily enough, the quote that I really took away from Devil Wears Prada, which is [paraphrasing] "if she were a man, all they would say is that she's great at her job" and none of the other crap would matter. 

source: gawker via myturtleneck


I think both women are incredible, and that the film portrays them wonderfully (I hope they think so, too!). Frankly, it made me want to start subscribing to Vogue again . . . and I'm slightly frightened of a world where these two aren't heading the magazine.

No comments: