Sunday, December 20

End of the Year

Yesterday night it began to snow. Only a few short hours ago, it stopped. The neighborhood is covered in a blanket of snow, a shimmering powder that coats the black asphalt and buries the automobiles. If I squint my eyes for a moment, I can imagine that cell phones, cars, and computers don't exist. My sleep schedule is hopelessly skewed, as it often is when I come home from school. I spent the early hours of the morning in an overstuffed chair, wrapped in a blanket. I watched the snowfall outside the window, past our second Christmas tree. It is a fake one that my mother decorates with our old homemade ornaments, so that people may see it in the window. The cold weather reminds me, more than coming home for winter break, more than Christmas carols and the smell of baking cookies, that 2009 is almost over. Not only will a new decade begin, but a new chapter of my life. College is ending and I will move on to . . . something. Graduate school, a job, I'm not sure. And I'm not overly fond of the uncertainty either. But it does make you reflect upon the past year. This year was particularly eventful for me, in terms of my musical expansion. I began to discover music on my own, which is pretty exciting! So here's my own little end of the year album list, for what it's worth, with no explanations, and no adjectives.


-The Hazards of Love by the decemberists
- Middle Cyclone by neko case
- Lungs by florence + the machine
- It's Bliss by yeah yeah yeahs
- Fantasies by metric
- Give Up the Ghost by brandi carlile
- Two Suns by bat for lashes
- Hold Time by m. ward
- Horehound by the dead weather

No comments: