Tuesday, June 9

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

I've decided that I'm going to try to do a post, every so often, of blogs and blog writers that inspire me. What I love best about the blogosphere is the crazy level of inspiration and exchange of ideas across the world. It's such a unique outlet for creativity, and it has, honestly, almost totally eclipsed my eternal love for magazines. So!

My first post is for Casey's Musings (http://blog.caseybrowndesigns.com).




She hails from my native Northern Virginia, and just seems like the sweetest girl (woman) to ever cross the blog-world. She hosts an etsy shop for vintage, called Elegant Musings, and while it doesn't have an items up yet, her impeccable taste in her own wardrobe leads me to believe it will be utterly fantastic. If she didn't have enough talent, she's an incredible graphic designer that (if I'm not mistaken) does all of the photo work, graphic-y stuff (I have zero knowledge about graphic design, if you can't tell) on her blog, like the beautiful picture above. But what most impresses me are her vintage-inspired make-up and hair tutorials. I adore, adore vintage hairstyles, particularly the 1940s/50s, which seems to be her specialty. My hair has gotten quite long and textured (it used to be flat out curly, but not quite so much anymore), and I've taken to twirling and bobby pining it off of my face. But when I tried to go any deeper into vintage looks, particularly make-up, I've always fallen flat on my face--despite the many excellent tutorials that exist on youtube.

But there's something about the way Casey explains doing vintage hair and make-up that just clicks with me. It's very simple and she does a great job of explaining and showing why she does things the way she does them. In particular, I love her basic "girl-next-door" make-up tutorial, that takes the basic 1940s pin-up look and warms it up a bit. It makes a remarkable difference for those of us with pale skin--any attempts I made previously made me look like a ghost, but Casey's tutorial made me quite the doll for the RAG Union Ball!


In her honor, here's a clip from Abbott and Costello's 1941 film, "Buck Privates" with the Andrews Sisters singing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"


1 comment:

Casey said...

Thank you ever so much for your delightful and sweet post! I'm utterly honored. :) And I can't tell you how much the title and clip from "Buck Privates" delights me--that is one of my all time favorite songs! :D

Thank you again so much!!!