Thursday, July 21

Notes on a Thursday--Summer Mix

It's so bizarre how quickly summer is vanishing into thin air--evaporating, rather like a puddle on a hot day (97 degrees right now, and rising!). I've done some of the things I've wanted to do, and some things I've missed out on, but no matter, no matter! Even though my mind is already churning with the excitement to come in autumn (moving to a new place, starting school again after a year away, autumn fashion (!!)) I still am jamming to my summer tunes. When the weather gets stifling hot I gravitate toward 60s/70s rock, while in winter is dominated by indie-rock and the transitional seasons get a very dreamy, contemplative feel to them. 

This summer is all about:


The Doobie Brothers- Listen to the Music
Jackson Browne- The Road
Fleetwood Mac- Everywhere
The Civil Wars- My Father's Father
Bonnie Raitt- Give it Up or Let me Go
Simon & Garfunkel- Cecilia
Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears- Booty City
Kings of Leon- Pyro
Echo & the Bunnyman- Lips like Sugar
 Stevie Wonder- Superstition
Led Zeppelin- Gallows Pole
The Wailin' Jennys- Storm Comin'
Heart- Magic Man
Warpaint- Undertow
The Greencards- Su Prabhat
Stereogum x Team9- Riders Sleep Alone







Of course this seasonal listening thing isn't a hard and fast rule, but it does seem to follow that way. Does anyone else find their musical choices dictated by the season?

2 comments:

Kate said...

Yes!! I agree. And I loooove "Cecilia" -- perfect summer song. You should add The Who to that list too
:)

(also, i like your blog).

Historian said...

the Who is excellent summer listening! But there's almost do many songs to choose from . . . same thing with Bruce Springsteen.

(and thanks!)