Saturday, July 10

Life is Good when the band is smokin' hot

It's been quite awhile since I've written anything remotely style related--mostly because I've been unsure of what I like. It's starting to level out a bit though. And I hate to say it, but these sweltering days have left me pining for the crispness of fall weather. I can't wait to wrap myself in plaids, corduroy, and thermals.

When summer comes around I'm a real jeans-and-tee type girl, which is making finding work-appropriate clothes that don't make me cringe from discomfort, sweat buckets, or feel like I'm playing a Stepford wife really difficult. On the other hand, having a job and making money means that I can buy myself clothes semi-whenever I want for the first time in my entire life. My mom has gotten behind my whole 70s with a modern twist vibe 100%, which is really great. So here are some of my recent/favorite summer purchases, and some dream items for fall (one of which is within my grasp, the other is in all probability utterly impossible. but a girl can dream, right?)

Summer 2010 Plus #1: Madewell goes viral!

Madewell is one of my favorite shops. Their rail straight jeans fit me the best, gripping my backside without being too roomy or too tight in the legs (my caboose is totally flat, which I don't have a problem with . . . it just makes jean shopping a trial. My best friend has the opposite "problem", and she also wears Madewell jeans). Plus, they don't wear out as quickly as their big sister, J.Crew's jeans do. I also highly recommend the jean shorts, which are cutoffs that have that "oh these? I just cut an old pair of jeans" look without being too raggedy, and short without my buttcheeks hanging out (MAJOR plus). I'm also digging their shirts, which I wear pretty much all the time.

They also are the proud purveyor of my graduation present to myself: a brown leather slouchy purse that I may feature in a rare personal photo post, of my purse and its contents, a la . . . every other blogger ever.

Summer 2010 Plus #2: Etsy. Etsy. Etsy.

I've watched Etsy forever, and frequently received birthday presents and christmas present from the fantastic sellers that shop at that site. But recently, I've begun purchasing there in my own right, and I can't be happier to personally support independent craftsmen/women. Thus far, I've purchased this shirt from the amazing Thief and Bandit, who create amazing tee shirts and accessories. And though the photo is a dude, I promise it fits me great!


The look of the shirt goes along really well with the Western influence that's been creeping into my brain recently. I'm trying to save up for some cowboy boots and/or moccasins, but it's a bit difficult when I see things like the incredible (but not on etsy) Spool No. 72's Little Chief tee that make me super impulse buy while writing a blog post (literally ten minutes ago. kid you not) but it's so amaaazing!

This has nothing to do with style, but many sellers on etsy make beautiful terrariums. I just re-did my room (which I may also post pics of) and I want to fill it with all sorts of terrariums and (humane) butterfly specimens.

Fall 2010 Plus #1: J.Crew, duh.

Like everyone else on the planet, I love the new styling that's been going on a J.Crew. I think they're freshening up their image in the best way, and the new fall collection is just genius, really. Other bloggers have said it ten times better than me, including Joanna Goddard of A Cup of Jo (whose newborn baby is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen, and honestly the first baby I've ever just completely melted over).


Fall 2010 Plus #2: Lauren Moffatt's Fall 2010 Collection

This is just so unbelievably stunning to me--it's feminine without being frilly and over the top. It uses pattern without being too busy, and is reminiscent of vintage without being stuffy. Now if only I could afford it.





Fall 2010 Plus #3: I. Want. This (that is all)






photo credits (from top to bottom): Thief and Bandit, Spool No. 72, via Tomboy Style, Refinery 29, Ban.do
post title lyrics from: Life is Good blues by Laura Veirs


No comments: