Saturday, April 24

Jane-ite alert!

If there is one thing I love in the world, it is an adaptation of a Jane Austen novel. While at Oxford I read a tutorial of Jane Austen and now consider myself quite the expert (not really, at all). Jane Austen novels are more than just pretty love stories, but also amazing pieces of social commentary. They provide insight into the family in a loving and comfortable way, which is so refreshing in a world where most see the past as a rigid set of rules with no room comfort or laughter. Here are a list of my favorite screen adaptations of Jane Austen novels:

-Joe Wright's Pride and Prejudice: As much as Keira Knightley is a witty and natural Lizzie Bennett and Matthew MacFadyen is an incredibly dashing Mr. Darcy (who brings a shyness to Darcy that is not inappropriate, I think), I also like this version the best for several other reasons as well. It is beautifully shot with incredible lighting, and (most importantly) it captures the story's most important points without sacrificing pacing. I personally cannot get through the epic 90s adaptation, despite Colin Firth's Darcy.

-BBC's Sense and Sensibility (2008): This adaptation does have the disadvantage of length, but it is beautifully adapted, shot, and pieced together. The actors and actresses seem the appropriate age, a fact that most adaptations frequently overlook. I do enjoy Emma Thompson as Elinor in the 90s version, but Elinor is supposed to be 18 or 19 years old! I also like that this adaptation shows somethings that are only hinted at in the novel, but I won't tell you what they are!

-Northanger Abbey (2007): When I first read through some of the Austen cannon, I loved Northanger Abbey best. This film adaptation is very pretty, and Carey Mulligan as the horrifying Isabella Thorpe is a delightful turn. Of course, then I went to Oxford and my tutor had to inform me that Mr. Tilney had homosexual undertones. Not that I have a problem with homosexuality, of course, but I can't be dreamy about him then.

When I first read Persuasion, I couldn't stand it. I was a freshman in college and found it very dull and boring. Fast forward to my junior year of college, and I reread it for my tutorial. I absolutely fell in love with it, with Captain Wentworth, and of course Anne Elliot. So much so, that I hesitate to watch any screen adaptations for fear of disappointment.




and, in case anybody wonders, I very much disapprove of this whole Pride and Prejudice and Zombies business. Disapprove entirely.

No comments: