Thursday, February 11

82.

One of the very few good things about being an insomniac on a snow day is getting to lie on the couch in a haze while watching Turner Classic Movies. I love their '31 days of Oscar' and was lucky enough to run across Now, Voyager. I've been meaning to see this film for awhile, particularly after seeing the film adaptation of The History Boys. The History Boys is an incredible commentary on the study of history, literature, and overall what "deserves" to be studied, and what does not merit the time and effort. The boys eccentric professor tests them with sections of classic cinema and literature, which they in turn pick up to test him. One such test, is a scene from Now, Voyager. Upon seeing the actual film itself, it fulfilled all my expectations and more. I'd never actually seen Bette Davis in a film before, and she'd always frightened me a little bit. But I found her so sympathetic, and yet so full of moxy at the same time. She's incredible-an utter tour de force. And the male romantic lead, Paul Henreid, isn't too bad to look at either. Though he'll never eclipse my love for Gregory Peck.


No comments: